A virtual private network or VPN service is the tool that is commonly used these days to protect the privacy of users when surfing the web. They can do this by creating a sort of encrypted tunnel where all the data that you submit on the web can pass through. Because it’s encrypted, it will be impossible for people who intercept the data to read and understand it. There are many VPN service providers around, which makes it hard to choose the best one. I have listed below some of the criteria that you should look for when choosing the perfect service provider for you.
- Technical Support – Is it easy to contact them? Are they available 24-7? Are the staffs knowledgeable in technical stuffs? These are just some of the questions you should get the answer for. If you use your VPN connection for work, you cannot afford to lose your VPN connection for a long time.
- Reliability. The following questions should asked by you regarding reliability of service. How many users mentioned the downtime of the provider? Does the VPN connection gets disconnected often?
- The VPN Connection’s Speed. Just like your internet connection, you should take into account the speed of the VPN connection. No one wants to wait a long time before web page opens.
- The VPN Account Setup process. Because many customers are not familiar with technical matters, the setting-up process of the VPN connection should be simple and easy, and should just take around 5 minutes.
Aside from the three main criteria to check for when choosing a VPN, you should also confirm the following factors below:
- Make sure to verify VPN Protocols, especially when you are concerned about data encryption. OpenVPN and SSTP are the most secure VPN protocols around. Restrictive firewalls block VPN connections, and if you have this, then the use of a SSL VPN protocol is need.
- Find out if there’s a limit on the VPN’s bandwidth. You require a big bandwidth limit if you will connect to the web daily, download, or watch videos and movies online.
- Ensure that the monthly fee of the VPN connection is affordable, or at least, worth the service it provides. Price range of VPN connections range from $5 to $30 a month.
The introduction of VPN to the internet world is such a blessing. Especially to people who value their privacy so much. Large companies trust VPN service providers to safeguard their company data, and you should too. A private network that has the ability to hide your IP address, prevent access of unauthorized individuals. Secures the private data you store in your computer – what more can you ask for?